The Bare (Legal) Basics of Starting a Creative Business
Pricing: Non-Members $25, Members $12.50
- About this workshop:
How do I protect my company name? Do I need a license? What kind of business structure should I have? Do I even want to start a business? So many questions run through our head when deciding to start a small business. It’s easy to get overwhelmed and just ignore them but we know that’s not a good idea, so enter Jessi Patton of Patton Law, an Atlanta lawyer with a passion for serving artists and creatives. Foster is partnering with Jessi to host a Bare Basics Workshop for creatives, artists, freelancers, and designers who have started or are thinking about starting their own business.
In the Bare Basics Workshop, you will receive straightforward clarity about:
- Whether starting a business is right for you at all, based on your current situation;
- An overview of legal structures, how much it costs to set up, and what records you are required to keep;
- The most common legal structure that works for most creative micro-business owners and freelancers;
- How to protect your brand and products through trademarks and copyrights;
- Required licenses and zoning issues;
- An overview of contracts and when you need them.
This workshop will be geared toward those who know little or nothing about business law. Our goal is to provide a comfortable discussion space that will help you take empowered steps toward making your dream business a reality. No question is too basic.
- What to bring: Nothing. Bring a pad/pencil or laptop if you'd like to jot note